RECIPE | FRENCH TOAST
Let’s face it, everyone loves a bit of toast. Well in this case french toast.
I have gone with banana bread as the base for the toast, topped with roasted nectarine, maple bacon and a miso crème fraîche.
The umami in this dish will knock your socks off. The salty sweet bacon, the tangy sourness of the nectarine and the zesty miso all work together brilliantly. I also like to add some lemon curd for a bit of a kick and honeycomb for some crunch.
I recommend getting some proper bacon for this from Bacon on Bree. While you are at it, you can find organic miso at Culture Club Cheese. Let’s do it properly guys.
6g dried yeast
300ml of warm milk
2 tbsp of Brown sugar
300g of ripe banana
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp salt, fine
1 tsp of Tumeric
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 nutmeg grated
3 large eggs
600g of bread flour
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Whisk the yeast, milk and sugar together in a bowl and leave for 10 minutes.
- Now whisk in the eggs and spices until smooth, then add in the banana.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour and salt, then add the banana mixture and gently fold together.
- Line your baking tin with baking paper and pour in the bread mix.
- Leave to prove for approximately 1hr
- Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes. Use a wooden skewer to check if the bread is cooked.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool
NECTERINES AND BACON
8 slices of streaky bacon
150ml maple syrup
4 Necterines, halved and deseeded
1 Vanilla pod
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Lay the strips of streaky bacon onto an oven tray and place into the oven
- Cook the bacon for approximately 12/15 minutes or until the bacon is crispy
- Remove the tray from the oven and pour off the excess fat into a metal bowl
- Drizzle the bacon with half of the maple syrup and then allow to cool
- Remove from the tray and set aside
- Place a large non stick pan onto a medium high heat and add the bacon fat
- Carefully place each nectarine flat side down into the pan and allow to caramelise
- Add the rest of the maple syrup, vanilla pod and butter
- Allow the syrupy glaze to reduce while tuning each nectarine and basting for 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and set aside
MISO CRÈME FRAÎCHE
200g crème fraîche Cultured Cream
A healthy pinch of ground pink pepper corns
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 orange
1 tsp miso paste
Pinch of sea salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until combined.
150ml whipping cream
- Whisk together the eggs and cream to form a batter.
- Slice the banana bread and dip into the batter
- Add a knob of butter to a hot non stick pan and lay the battered slices of banana bread into the pan and toast on both sides until golden
- Dust the toast with icing sugar and place the hot nectarines on top along with the maple bacon finished with a dollop of miso crème fraîche.